Hair gels are great products to use if you want to style up your hair and get a unique look for an event. Of course, they do have certain know-how that you’ll want to be aware of if you want to get the best possible results and avoid any problems. So, let’s take a look at how to apply hair gel safely and correctly.
What are hair gels?
Hair gels are a rather broad category of hairstyling products that have been used for millennia. They can be made out of various ingredients with animal fat being the main ingredient in most hair gels through history. Modern hair gels, however, are mostly made out of vinyl monomers such as PVP (Polyvinyl Pyrrolidone) or VP (Vinyl Pyrrolidone).
The main questions most people have about hair gels (especially after they hear about its ingredients) boil down to ‘Is gel bad for your hair?” And the simplest answer is – “Yes, when used properly”.
Hair gels can be the cause of certain problems such as dry scalp, skin irritation, and dandruff flakes, but those are caused by overusing the hair gel and not washing it off properly rather.
If your hair and scalp are in good health and if you use the hair gel in moderation, and wash it away adequately, you should have no problems. If you’re not certain whether you should use hair gel or not, consult with your hairstylist or a dermatologist first.
How to gel your hair?
So, how should you use hair gel for the best possible results? Here’s a quick step-by-step guide:
- Get the right gel for your hair. There are different types of gels depending on how strong their hold is. Lighter gels still allow your hair to be bouncy while stronger gels won’t allow you to even run your fingers through your hair.
- Wash your hair first. Gels are most effective on clean and slightly damp hair. You can use shampoo and/or conditioner if you want to, just rinse them off properly and towel-dry your hair so that it’s still damp but not dripping wet.
- Scoop up a bit of the gel and rub it onto your hands. The more your hair is, the more gel you’d want but for a medium-length hair, a simple dime-sized scoop should do.
- Run your hands through your hair to spread the gel evenly. It shouldn’t reach the scalp but it must be applied to all your hair – or to the areas where you want it – as well as possible.
- Style your hair however you want. Because hair gel offers such a good hold on your hair you can style your hair in a lot of different ways – your imagination is the limit!